Monday, July 12, 2010

Batam Indonesia - Taking the Ferry

I went Island Hopping during the weekend. Took a ferry to Batam, Indonesia. The ferry ride from Singapore to Batam is about 45 minutes only.

Batam is about 20 km off Singapore South Coast. It was actually a poor island with lots of forests. The island closeness to Singapore has helped its economy. There are now many industries on the island with several factories operated by Singapore Companies. There are several hotels, shopping malls, sea sports activities there. It surely attracted a lot of Singaporeans to head there during the weekend and holidays. You can read more about Batam from wikipedia .

From what I noticed was that the majority of tourists to Batam are Singaporeans. Even in hotels, malls and shops, the products are quoted in Singapore Dollars.

From the view of the ferry, I saw the huge cruise ship. I have never gone on a cruise in that big ship before.

This is the type of ferry that I took. The ride was fast and comfortable.

The ferry had to pass Sentosa before heading to Batam. I think those buildings in the above photos are in the Sentosa Cove area.

Palawan Beach

Rasa Sentosa Hotel
More about my Batam trip coming up later

No comments: